So, I began working last week. It's been almost two weeks. And I don't have as much to complain about as I thought I would. Or would like to. But there is one issue that I would like to address. During my seven legal internships in Bangalore and 2 weeks of employment, I've noticed different styles of work, different vibes. Some firms have a predominantly national law schools crowd, some have a predominantly bangalore university crowd, some have young energetic partners who interact with everyone, some have partners who are the proverbial "blue moon/ id ka chand". Some have an awesome work ethic, some not so much. Some treat interns like one of them, some treat them like the poor cousin. Each of them is different, in a hundred different ways. But over the years I've noticed an alarming similarity among every one of them- they all have, in one corner, the passive aggressive-nearly always avoiding confontation yet getting things their way- disapproving- Real Estate Aunty.
No, I am not being supercilious because I am a corporate lawyer and think we're a cut above. I do think the second is true, but that is not the reason for this classification.
There is a type- a very dangerous type- and it exists. In one corner of the office, unnoticeable behind a computer and a fortress of patta deeds in Kannada/Telegu/Tamil, there lives a real estate aunty. She ALWAYS exhibits the following traits:
- Aged between 33-45.
- Has a kid between the ages of 8 and 15
- Full strong Karnataka accent
- Will begin eyeing the clock at 12 and will break for lunch latest at 12:45 (much before the corporate team or the poor litigation guys who only eat after 2:30)
- Drives a Kinetic/Activa. No Dio mind you because its obviously not fuel efficient enough or sturdy enough.
- Has a name like Savita, Sujata, Vinita.
Real estate aunties will also exhibit the following behavioural characteristics:
- They do not approve of your dressing. And god forbid, if you wear skirts, your legs will get the staring down of a lifetime.
- They WILL NOT allow you to switch on the fan. And they haven't even heard of an AC. They always feel cold and will always carry a jacket (reebok, polo sport) to work. Yes Bangalore has pleasant weather, but it isn't frikkin South of England.
- Their sister-in-law/cousin/aunt twice removed will always be having a child.
- At around 4:30 they will receive a phone call from their child/children and will proceed to help them with their homework. Thereafter the constant chatter will be interrupted with "Bee-Yaa-Yell-Yell", "aah, haudu,haudu. Correct appa."
- They will mispronounce names-"Gowtham, Kowshik, Gowrav"
- Their wallpapers will always, always be flowers/teddy bears/some supposedly cute animal thing.
- At 6:00 pm they will promptly pack their bags and leave.
Really, I could go on, but you get the picture.